Baggage and Luggage Information
General Baggage Information:
Passengers are responsible at all times for their luggage. Assistance is available, upon request, for passengers needing special assistance, including elderly passengers, passengers with disabilities or adults traveling with small children.
All luggage, including checked luggage and carry-on luggage, must have an identification (ID) tag securely fastened to the luggage. ID is also required inside the baggage.
Checked baggage (baggage that is being placed under the bus) must have a claim check along with the identification tag. This claim check can be obtained when you purchase your ticket or from the driver.
Passengers are responsible for having their baggage loaded into the baggage bays of the bus. Take your baggage to the bus side and give it to the driver. If the driver is unavailable, stay with your baggage until he returns. Do not leave your baggage unattended and do not load it yourself.
Once you arrive at your destination or transfer location, you are responsible for picking up your baggage next to the bus. Drivers do not transfer luggage from one bus to the next.
- One (1) piece of baggage may be checked free of charge for each adult ticket and each child ticket. It cannot weigh more then 50 pounds.
- One (1) additional piece of baggage weighing less than or equal to 50 pounds may be checked for a charge of $15.00..
- Five (5) more pieces may be checked at a charge of $30 to $40 per piece depending on destination.
- Baggage carried beyond the allowed two (7) pieces will be charged based on Northwestern Package Express rates.
- If a single piece of checked baggage weighs more than 50 pounds but less than or equal to 75 pounds there will be charged an extra $30 to $40 depending on the destination.
- All other pieces including pieces weighing more that 75 pounds, have to be shipped as regular express.
- One (1) small, bag up to 25 pounds may be taken aboard for each adult or child. Carry-on luggage must fit in the overhead compartment or under your seat. Luggage may not be stored in the aisle or on an adjoining seat.
- Baggage must not exceed 62 inches when adding the total exterior dimensions of the piece (length plus width plus height). A charge will be applied to any baggage above the 62-inch limit. (See below for exemptions for bicycles, skies and ski poles.)
- Passengers who show up less than 30 minutes before departure time with excess baggage or baggage that needs to be shipped are not guaranteed that the bus will wait for them.
- See agent for other policy requirements.
Acceptable baggage includes suitcases, duffel bags, toolboxes, trunks and securely tied cardboard boxes. A plastic and/or paper bag is NOT acceptable as checked baggage.
Unacceptable and Prohibited Items for Checked Baggage:
The following is a list of items which are prohibited from being placed under the bus as Checked Baggage:
- Combustible liquids
- Compressed gases
- Cremated remains
- Electronic equipment (televisions, stereos) may be sent using Northwestern Package Express with appropriate packaging. See exemption below for laptop computers
- Firearms of all types
- Flammable liquids
- Furniture, hazardous materials (poisons, radioactive materials, etc.)
- Materials with a disagreeable odor
- Merchandise for resale
- Protuding articles
- Unsecured items
Laptop computers are considered "electronic items" and are prohibited as "checked baggage". However, a laptop computer may be brought aboard as one of the allowed carry-on items.
Money and prescription medication may not be checked as baggage and must remain in the possession of the passenger at all times.
Northwestern Trailways' Liability on Lost Luggage:
The maximum liability to Northwestern Trailways is $250.00 for all baggage checked (not including items checked as overweight, oversized and/or excess baggage, see below) per adult ticket and $125.00 per child ticket. Neither Northwestern Trailways nor other participating bus carriers are responsible for the loss of or damage to baggage in excess of the value allowances. Northwestern Trailways will only be responsible to the extent of the actual loss or damage sustained based on the actual baggage at the time and place of checking and will NOT accept any liability for unchecked baggage.
For items checked as overweight, oversized and/or excess baggage, the maximum liability to Northwestern Trailways is $100.00. Neither Northwestern Trailways nor other participating bus carriers are responsible for the loss of or damage to baggage in excess of the value allowances. Northwestern Trailways will only be responsible to the extent of the actual loss or damage sustained based on the actual baggage at the time and place of checking.
Passengers may purchase declared value for items checked as overweight, oversized and/or excess baggage up to a maximum of $300 per transaction. Please see your ticket agent for this service.
Passengers may also insure their baggage (not including items checked as overweight, oversized and/or excess baggage) up to a maximum of $1,000 per passenger ticket. Please see your ticket agent for this service.
Luggage cannot be stored on an adjoining seat.